About Mrs Jetplane Pug Love Mrs Jetplane Cooks email me twitter rue la la one kings lane gilt groupe Image Map

Fellow Travelers

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Yesterday was...a no good very bad day

Yesterday started like any other crazy, manic Monday. Unfortunately I was booked solid with work calls from 10am until 3pm so the dogs were chilling in the house on their own. I keep my door closed while I'm on the phone.

Generally they are pretty good, they sleep, look out the windows, and sleep some more. I got off a call and went into the family room to the let them out. They usually go outside from around 12:30 - 2:30 or so. I let them out around 1:30 due to my calls. Once they were out I saw something on the floor. It was what was left of a packet of Sugar Free Strawberry Orbit gum. The gum had been in my purse and someone (I assumed Milo) had jumped up on to couch and got in my purse. But to be honest I didn't really know which one had done it.

I didn't think too much of it and I mentioned it on Twitter. Thankfully later that day I received tweets from people warning me how dangerous Sugar Free gum is and that it contains Xylitol. Xylitol is toxic in dogs and can cause their livers to fail. I had absolutely no idea.

I called the vet, who at first didn't seem to concerned (she later admitted she hadn't seen much of this before). I brought both of them in. They both were made to throw up and got their levels checked. They had both ate some of the gum. Charlie's levels were fine but I had to feed him charcoal when we got home and he's on preventive liver meds.

Poor lil Milo is a different story. His blood sugar dropped from 82 to 65. He had to stay over night and be put on an IV. Vet called me around 9:30 last night, his numbers were back up to 82 and she was going to give him the liver meds around 11pm.

Needless to say I was and am still a total mess. Milo is almost 8 and has been with me through everything. I got him when I was living in Indy after college. He is my lil buddy and it breaks my heart that he is going thru this.

Mr. Jetplane called this morning around 3am before heading out on his mission. We talked yesterday afternoon and I told him about the gum before I knew we were in any danger. So when he received my 5 emails from yesterday and could tell I was really upset he called. He knew I wouldn't care if he woke up in the middle of the night.

I'm hopeful we caught it all in time and this episode will have a happy, albeit expensive ending.

Thank you to the wonderful world of Twitter and my fellow pug lovers out there who made me take action yesterday.

Love you all more than you'll ever know.

5 comments:

Day Old News said...

I was so worried when I read your tweets. So glad it sounds like they are out of the woods and hope Milo recovers quickly. So terrifying!

Chic Runner said...

Thinking of you a lot last night and this morning and praying for small Milo! <3

Fash Boulevard said...

everything will work out. So happy I found your blog. I'm a new follower, I hope you will as well. I started my blog a little over a month ago. It's all about celebrity fashion from the point of view of an LA stylist. Stop by to see multiple post a day on all the latest celebrity fashion news and check out pictures from the fall/winter preview I attended yesterday in Beverly Hills. xoxo. Would love your support. xoxo

www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

caknitter said...

Aw, your poor lil pug. I hope everything is okay now and he comes home healthy and happy.

d.a.r. said...

Oh my gosh!! They always wait until Daddy leaves to pull crap like this, right??

So glad your boys (and YOU!) are okay!

Reading Material