About Mrs Jetplane Pug Love Mrs Jetplane Cooks email me twitter rue la la one kings lane gilt groupe Image Map

Fellow Travelers

Thursday, February 19, 2009

On a serious tip...

I just found out last night that a friend from high school and his wife's 7 month old son has been diagnosed with Down's Syndrome.

My friend is a Captain in the USMC and his wife is a SAHM with 2 adorable lil boys, they are stationed out west. And my heart goes out to them. I will admit that I saw pictures of the youngest boy a couple of months ago on their Facebook pages, and seriously questioned whether he had been diagnosed or not. It appears that he wasn't diagnosed by the doctors at the military hospital initially, the couple questioned it and the Dr. didn't see any issues. Until their 7 month appointment, he requested the tests be run. He is an otherwise healthy and very happy baby boy, but now they're left wondering and worrying about the next steps.

They want to absorb as much information about the disorder and needed therapy as possible. They are a wonderful young couple with an incredible faith. I know they will overcome any and all obstacles that this may cause, but I'm reaching out to you all for any information that I can pass along to them.

On the opposite side of this conversation, while my aunt and uncle were pregnant with my cousin the Dr. told them that she had Down's. My cousin was born, and while she appeared slightly to have the facial characteristics of a child with the syndrome, those soon passed. I'm very happy to report that she is now 24 years old and working toward a Ph.D., very far from any learning disability.

9 comments:

d.a.r. said...

No tips, but I am praying for them!

Running In Stilettos said...

The good news (cause it's important to focus on that) is the Marine Corps really goes above and beyond to help families with exceptional children. The Exceptional Family Member Program will be a very big help as long as they are a USMC family!

Malissa said...

Hi! I just found your blog today and I wanted to let you know I'll be praying for your friends. Also, I have an uncle with DS and cousin on my husband's side of the family with DS. The best thing my grandparents ever did was treat my uncle just like they treated their other kids. He has never been babied or treated like he couldn't do something because of his DS. As a result he is very social, kind and has a lot of self esteem (almost too much at times haha). I'm sure this is a difficult time for your friends but kids with Downs have so much joy and happiness to offer their families.

Muffy said...

Oh, how very sad. I will keep them in my prayers! Keep us updated!!!!

Unknown said...

I will ask my grandma for all the info she has. She worked with older DS patients in california for years!

It must be hard to recieve that news as a parent, but they have such sweet spirits...I will keep them in my prayers & get back to you with some info..

Miss E said...

What a tough thing to find out. But I believe God has a plan for each and every one of us. Please keep us updated.

Melissa and Tom said...

I just saw this article on the Parenting website and thought of your friends.

http://www.parenting.com/article/Baby/Health/Raising-a-Baby-with-Down-Syndrome

It's really a great story. I wish them the best!

Seaside Prep said...

down's babies are the sweetest babies, so loving and trusting. I will be adding your friend's family to my prayer list! :)

The Mrs. said...

I wish them all the best the most important thing that they do right now is READ READ READ and early intervention. EI makes such a difference as has the best impact when its started asap. No doubt they are going to be just fine. : )

Reading Material

Past Travels