About Mrs Jetplane Pug Love Mrs Jetplane Cooks email me twitter rue la la one kings lane gilt groupe Image Map

Fellow Travelers

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Service with a Smile

The Jetplanes sometime frequent a pizza chain near our house. Its quick and pretty cheap. We have had the same waitress the last 2 times we've been. She's quite an interesting young lady.

About 2 months ago the Jetplanes parked and started walking up to the restaurant. The waitress is standing outside smoking a cigarette. She asks us, "You guys aren't eating in are you?"

Mr. Jetplane "Well... that is kinda why we're here at the restaurant."

Waitress: "Sorry. I didn't mean it like that. Its just every time I try to take a smoke break someone comes to eat."

Mr. Jetplane "Oh I know... I hate it when that happens."

Waitress: "Yeah... oh well. Let me finish this. Just go in and seat yourself. Just stay near the windows on the left side of the restaurant."

So we walk in and seat ourselves and over all the meal was fine.

Fast forward several weeks and the Jetplanes visited the pizza establishment again. I notice that the same waitress is there and asks us to please seat ourselves. We do so and she comes to our table and we order. We know what we want. We pretty much always get the same thing... yeah I know... we live dangerously.

Then after ordering Mr. Jetplane says.. "Thanks Jackie" (or whatever her name tag said, for this purpose we'll call her Jackie)

We make our way up to the salad bar and Mr. Jetplane finishes before I do. He sits down right when Jackie is delivering our drinks.

She whispers to him.... "Do we know each other?"

Mr. Jetplane: "Excuse Me?"

Jackie: "Do we know each other? You called me by my name!"

Mr. Jetplane: "What you don't remember me?"

Jackie: "No I'm sorry I don't."

Mr. Jetplane: "I'm joking.... You're wearing a name tag!"

Jackie: "Oh!"

And she walked away....

FYI - if anyone is wearing a name tag... Mr. Jetplane will call you by your name no matter what. He always does and I find it so funny when people get freaked out by it.

20 comments:

Lucky in Love said...

That is too funny! One of my very best guy friends does the same thing. Except he always does it in a very flirty way...super annoying :)

sarah said...

What a weirdo (the waitress not Mr. Jetplane)! I always call people by their names (if they have on a name tag) because I hate being called "hey you!"

Sara said...

Are you sure that's just tabacco in her cigarettes? At least she's nice, just a little... absent minded? I always call waiters by their name too.

Megan said...

That is so funny! My boyfriend always call the person by their name..doesn't matter where we are!

Stephanie said...

I do that too! Mr. Newlywed gets very mortified...

Stereos and Souffles said...

I guess she doesn't hear her name much, pretty funny. Like she thought they had a steamy trist one night that she forgot about.

Anonymous said...

If someone has a name tag on, my boyfriend ALWAYS calls them by their name and it irks me a little. I don't know why. He says it's being polite and I guess I can see that...a little.

When I worked at a bank I had to wear a name tag and it always bothered me when people I didn't know would call me by my name like they knew me or something.

Weird, I know. But, I never wondered how they knew my name. :)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Hahaha love that!

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

haha, Love it!!!

Muffy said...

Oh man! That waitress is a strange bird!

Unknown said...

Lol! I worked retail all through college and that always freaked me out when people would call me by my name.

Unknown said...

I always wondered what people thought when I use their name. ha!

The Southbay Newlyweds said...

i love how you labeled this post under "stupid people" :)

d.a.r. said...

That is hysterical!!!

Sarah said...

Honestly I have done the same thing before. I think it comes from the fact that I just would forget that I had a nametag on. But I was only ever momentarily caught off guard- to seriously ask someone "do I know you?" is just plain weird. I have to agree with Sara- just what exactly is this girl smoking? Just shes just not the brightest blub on the tree hu?

Wearing Mascara said...

LOL It can be awkward but if you're wearing a name tag you should expect people to call you by name! lol

Anonymous said...

hahaha! I bet she was embarrassed after that. I know I would have been. I hope you laughed after she left.

Kate Craig said...

I worked fast food and I never could get used to that! I'd ALWAYS forget that I was wearing a nametag

jlc said...

hahah! YES when i worked at Borders i'd alwaysssss get freaked out when people said "thanks jen!" as if they knew me!


sorry mr jetplane...you still have a wonderful wife! :)

Hannah said...

lol wow... she must have a really high I.Q. to be that dumb.

My youth pastor will read people's nametags, and then totally mess with them and act like he knows them!

Reading Material

Past Travels