About Mrs Jetplane Pug Love Mrs Jetplane Cooks email me twitter rue la la one kings lane gilt groupe Image Map

Fellow Travelers

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Update on my Mom

Ok. I haven't written about my mom in a while. As you may recall, my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer several weeks ago. My frustration level with service that she has been receiving from a Dr close to home is at an all time high.

My mom was referred to this female doctor from a cousin whom had recently been treated with her, so my mom took that referral very highly. Well needless to say, that Dr, in my own humble opinion, is a POS. She has totally dropped the ball, and my mom has suffered from it.

#1 this is cancer people, you shouldn't have to explain that to a doctor. This process of her getting a mastectomy should have already been completed, she shouldn't have to repeatedly call to get results, find out referrals, etc. If she went into the DR with a broken arm, it would be treated right away, why can't this be... Ok, let me explain a little.

1. Up until a complete of weeks ago, she didn't even know what stage the cancer was. They had never cared to tell her.
2. They referred her to a hospital in the central part of the state that didn't accept her health insurance.
3. They didn't even figure that out, my mom called and spoke to several people at the hospital. They finally said we'll take you but you have to process your own claims to the insurance company... WTF are you kidding me... do I want to go bankrupt.
4. They had never given her a copy of any of her records.
5. My mom asked to go to St Louis, and the Dr said that wouldn't be possible.
6. Finally, my mom called to get all her records to take them to a new Dr she found in STL, at a top notch cancer institute, that takes her insurance, and you know what the Dr's cancer nurse said to her.... "Well we're gonna need you to come in and do another biopsy...
"Excuse me, she's getting a freaking mastectomy. I know its cancer, we've determined that weeks ago. She wants it the hell out of her why do we need to take another look...

So today, my mom has her appointment at the Sitman Cancer Center, a great cancer center associated with Barnes-Jewish Hospital and Wash U Medical School. Her appointment is with the Dept Head. I very excited for her, I mean as excited as you can be in this situation.

Its a wonderful, teaching hospital and there she will be able to participate the new procedures, clinical trials, and see some of the Midwest finest Doctors. I have a close friend that is an oncology rep for a drug manufacturer and she says that outside of Mayo, Sitman is the best cancer institute in the Midwest.

She should leave today with a plan of action, an idea of next steps, and hopefully a date for the surgery. Which is more than her other Dr ever did for her.

I'm so proud of her for taking control of the situation, and not settling for the BS that the Dr was giving her.

FYI - her original DR referred her to a State University Hospital located at the capital city of our state. My step-father is an elected official and has state health insurance. The Medical School which is funded by the state would not accept my mother's health insurance. What kind of crap is that.

For now, I'm letting the bad thoughts exit my body and only letting good energy in....

5 comments:

KLC said...

I am so sorry for what your family has had to go through. As if having cancer isn't enough, it's turned into a hassle to get the quality and appropriate care your mother needs... ridiculous!

I will keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers as I know how stressful it is to deal with this... my father was diagnosed with prostate cancer in early September and we are gearing up for his Nov. 4th surgery.

Best of luck, stay strong!

Muffy said...

How terrible!!! I'm praying for you and your family.

Aunt Pitty said...

I found your blog because my mom, too, was diagnosed with breast cancer just a couple weeks ago and she was referred to Siteman. She has had a great experience (as great as you can have with breast cancer!). The docs and nurses sat her down and have explained every step and answered all her questions patiently. They are very supportive and we found out that a couple of nurses are actually breast cancer survivors themselves! Anyway, she's having surgery Friday, and following up with radiation. But she's feeling very good about the future.

I sincerely hope and pray that all goes well for your mom and that she has as positive an experience as my mom has. (The only small problem -- one of the docs had had her baby a litle earlier than expected, so our doctor had to see her patients, too, and we had to wait longer than we had anticipated--but once the he actually got to us, he didn't seem rushed at all and was wonderful about answering our questions).

Good luck to you both!!

AmberDenae said...

Found you through "A Tale of Two Sisters". I, too live in Pensacola! :)

So sorry about all that crap with your mom! How frustrating and down right wrong! I hope she gets the care that she needs and deserves now through this new hospital!

I can't imagine how stressful all of that would be. I wish you the best of luck and may God bless you and your entire family!

-amber

Unknown said...

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your mama. My mom also has cancer and this whole thing is a bee-otch.

Reading Material

Past Travels