About Mrs Jetplane Pug Love Mrs Jetplane Cooks email me twitter rue la la one kings lane gilt groupe Image Map

Fellow Travelers

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

More Pottery Barn Inspiration

I had you take a peek at the buffet that I am interested in so I thought I've give you a look at something else I've been kicking around.



I have a love of interesting artwork, but unfortunately I have no funds for it. And seeing how we're still renting at the moment, I'm concerned about buying too much and it not working in our future home.


The Jetplanes style modern classic, well at least that's what I called it. Its not overly feminine, minimal flowers, dark woods, etc. I take a lot of inspiration from Pottery Barn.


Case in point this:




Okay, this is just inspiration. I love that this piece is made of wood (or atleast looks like it is). However, I'm not loving the colors, its a little too country for me but the concept I love. So instead of the painted distressed wood, I'm thinking staining the wood in different light to dark stains.


Now you're thinking.... Mrs. Jetplane how are you going to accomplish this? Well, enter Mr. Jetplane. He has passed his certification and can use the carpentry shop on base in Randolph and since he's totally bored out there I'm going to ask him to make this for us. **He has no idea right now...


But on base he has used of every single carpentry tool you could think of and he desperately wants to start making stuff, so what I better first project, right? And its definitely a lot cheaper than the $399 it would cost us to buy it from Pottery Barn.

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

That art work with the wood you could easily do yourself.

Mr. Newlywed does that stuff all of the time.

I'll email you today!

Gwen said...

I love it and yes it different colors it will be perfect!!! Isn't it nice having a handy husband. Mine is a machinist and works with metals all day long. Needless to say he has a long want list with photos from me. I still want him to teach me to weld so I can make sculptures out of his scrap metal. :)

AmberW said...

Ohhhh that is gorgeous! How I WISH I could have that piece of art. I totally think it is doeable also :)

Sweet Simplicity said...

I love your idea for it! I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Kensi said...

Doing it yourself will make your artwork a little more meaningful, and can be a great conversation starter. It can also be a lot of fun. We've done this before, and the first few things didn't turn out as well as we wanted, but we kept at it, and love what we have so far. I say...go for it! (quite honestly the hgtv website has a lot of great ideas!

Seaside Prep said...

very doable! love the idea :)

Chic Runner said...

I love that light in the picture. so unique! :)

Ashley said...

Looks awesome! How lucky you are to have such a handy husband! My grandfather is trying to teach my husband different wood working skills. Right now we are replacing all the old,skinny trim in our house for new, modern, thick trim. Making artwork is a great idea! I'm sure you're husband will be proud of his accomplishment.

P.S. Can't wait to see your BCBG dress. BCBG has always been a favorite of mine.

Piper Jacquelyn said...

I love the piece, but agree that the colors are not so desirable! You'll have to show us what you end up doing - I'm sure whatever it is it'll be fantastic!

Reading Material

Past Travels