About Mrs Jetplane Pug Love Mrs Jetplane Cooks email me twitter rue la la one kings lane gilt groupe Image Map

Fellow Travelers

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Mrs. Jetplane is cooking...

For 2009, Mrs. Jetplane will be attempting to make new recipes and have a much larger repertoire when Mr. Jetplane is back in the Jetplane household.

I found this recipe through Yahoo Recipes. Its from EatingWell.com. Its not "fat-free" by any means but it a much healthier option.

Ingredients
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 pound flank steak, trimmed (my store didn't have flank, I used a sirloin)
1 tablespoon canola oil
4 large portobello mushrooms, stemmed, halved and thinly sliced (you can substitute for button, but portobellos are more meaty and I prefer them)
1 large onion, sliced
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 (14.25 ounce) can reduced-sodium beef broth
2 tablespoons cognac or brandy ( I used brandy, its cheaper)
1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar (not sure I was use this in it again)
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
4 tablespoons chopped fresh chives or parsley, divided (I used chives)


1. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add steak and cook until browned on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side. (The meat will be rare, but will continue to cook as it rests.) Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut lengthwise into 2 long pieces then crosswise, across the grain, into 1/4-inch-thick slices.

(The meat was still rare when I cut it. It continues to cook when to introduce back to the mixture. It was extremely tender, even in the leftovers. Sorry for the picture, I had been peeling carrots on this cutting board earlier.)

2. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion, thyme, salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are very tender and lightly browned, 8 to 12 minutes.



3. Sprinkle flour over the vegetables; stir to coat. Stir in broth, cognac (or brandy) and vinegar and bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to a simmer, and continue cooking, stirring often, until the mixture is thickened, about 3-5 minutes.

4. Stir in sour cream, chives (or parsley), the sliced steak and any accumulated juices. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes more. (I cooked it alittle longer.)


Yield: 4 servings



I served the dish over no yolk egg noodles. I'll be honest, it tasted better in leftovers last night for dinner. But I'm weird like that leftovers usually do taste better to me.
Hopefully, I'll be able to keep up with new recipes, and I'll let you know how they go.

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

I have been cooking a lot lately as well. I started a few weeks ago with planning our menu. It helps so much.

I bought the WW cookbook. I'm not doing the program, but it has a lot of healthy and filling recipes.

d.a.r. said...

I'm trying to do the same thing, so that I have more meal options when the hubs comes home. Funnily, I tend to only want to bake. Hmm, hope he thinks that cheesecake is a well rounded meal :)

Piper Jacquelyn said...

I think it looks delish. Steak...mmm. I've been trying to collect cookbooks I love so I'm more likely to cook at home and it's been so much fun! Oh, and re: Christmas tree post below - I was SO sad to take mine down too!

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

MMMM, looks delicious! Love the blue pot! Where did you get it?

AmberW said...

Mmmmmmm.... that looks SO good :)
I might have to give that one a try. I think my kids would like that too!

Sarah said...

Looks great! I want to start cooking more, last year I took a cooking class and was cooking all of the time, I haven't as much lately but I might start with your recipe

Chic Runner said...

Keep the recipies coming! They look delish! :)

Reading Material

Past Travels